Friday 28 April 2017

Croissanterie

Not being prepared to banish wheat flour entirely from my life, I have begun a mission to find Edinburgh's best croissant. This may be a difficult task, for I am used to the splendid croissants of French Canada and have encountered superlative croissants in Paris and so far no plain croissant in Edinburgh can compare. I have threatened on several occasions to make my own. It may still come to that.

Today I had a hazelnut croissant from Edinburgh's Twelve Triangles, and it was delicious. However, the plain croissant I had afterwards (the hazelnut croissant having disappeared in a frenzied attack), though good--and indeed aeons better than the horrors one gets from Costa Coffee, Caffé Nero, et al,, did not conjure up Montréal or the Chartres Pilgrimage.

The game's afoot!

2 comments:

  1. I have had croissants in France but I've no idea if they were good or not. They seemed just like the ones I've had in Australia, so they probably were not good. But this is my problem with food. I'm extremely non-discerning. I have no idea what is good and what isn't (assuming of course that it's not gone bad or anything.)

    The Polish food I ate in Poland was just like the Polish food I eat in Australia. The curries in England are just like the curries in Australia. As far as I could tell anyway.

    The only food-related thing I can't stand about Europe is the water, which is nigh on undrinkable.

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. It's all subjective to a certain point, of course. I know someone who literally cries with joy when she eats something particularly delicious--tears actually pour down her face. But if you were eating family recipes in Poland than they may have been identical to Polish family recipes in Australia. Curries are trickier because of all the spice, but it does depend on who is making them and from what. Meanwhile, I am pretty sure saints and mystics would approve of your indifference! I am salving my conscience with the thought that thoroughly enjoying food (in a quality over quantity way) is a way of celebrating creation.

      Delete