Friday 20 July 2018

His Hair is Falling Out

Just as I was feeling all depressed for having gained a lot of weight from the no-kitchen lifestyle AND for yet another crisis regarding the New Flat (which we were supposed to possess today, at the latest), Benedict Ambrose showed me a big clump of hair that had just come out of his head.

That put everything into perspective, and I burst into tears.

B.A. has hair like nobody in my family. It is brown, short, straight and soft like animal fur. Maybe like a beaver pelt. It's a miracle to me that real human beings have hair like that, and that thick, coarse, dry, wavy/curly hair is not a human universal.

B.A. told me not to cry, and he did not seem at all perturbed. The radiation therapy doesn't hurt, and no marks have been left on his skin. His doctor warned him that hair would eventually fall out, and now it has begun.  

8 comments:

  1. My Italian American friend lost all her beautiful black hair during her treatment for stage 4 ovarian cancer BUT later it grew back even better. That was 30 years ago and her hair tho tinged with grey is still great. Take heart. And still praying for you. Every day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through that with my mother when she had chemotherapy for her lung cancer. I did not cry (though it was a struggle) but my father did. I am not sure why it seems so terrible when it happens, considering all the other terrible things that go with it, but it does. And yes, my mother's hair grew back, but it was quite different - thick and curly, rather than fine and straight.

    We keep you in our prayers.

    Clio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers for you both. My father had radiation treatment and his hair grew back, a bit finer than the thick hair before but back all the same. I don't get here as often as before due to work commitments but you are both in my prayers often for both the house and B.A's health. I really enjoy your writing

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are praying for you. It is painful to have that physical, visible sign of illness and treatment. My husband & I both have seen our families go through cancer treatments, and we know how hard it is on patients and caretakers alike. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everybody! B.A.'s hair is falling out only where the radiation is directed, and strangely, the sparse space is in a diamond-shape. It almost looks as if B.A. had gone to a trendy barber and asked him to shave it in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you and BA, and a complete cure for BA through the intercession of Venerable Margaret Sinclair.

    ReplyDelete