Monday 28 August 2017

A Good/Good Day

Benedict Ambrose is in hospital and seems much better today than he was yesterday. The hospital has  been filling him up with fluid, and weighing him, and feeding him his dinner so early that in the evening he drinks Ensure Plus of his own volition.

I feel really happy about all that.

Back at the Historical Ranch, I applied some lessons I learned from Cal Newport's Deep Work to get as much work done as possible. It was extremely awesome. I got 1.5 hours of Polish study (deep work) done before breakfast. During breakfast I trawled through the internet looking for leads (shallow work). Then I went back to deep work and wrote a complicated piece before the shallow work of watching a film I'm reviewing. I hit pause when it was time for a meeting (shallow work).

After the meeting, I powered through the late afternoon by writing two articles (deep work), and then I ran out of the house to get to the hospital to see B.A.

When I got home (taxi, so as to get here before dark--£10), I finished watching the film. It's called "Because of Gracia" and I liked it way better than "Bella." Everyone's going to compare it to "Bella," so I might as well be first.

I wonder if I am able to accomplish that much tomorrow. That would be AMAZING.

Meanwhile, I brought B.A. the chess set I bought him after his first operation back in March, and this time we actually opened the box. Well, I opened the box. B.A. grumbled about the social politics of being publicly interested in chess. He seems to think that even a living skeleton can get hassled for being too posh if he's in a NHS hospital. However I refused, as usual, to get sucked into the class war/delusion, and happily read aloud about pawns and pikemen.

4 comments:

  1. Cheers for you and la belle soeur!

    Paterfamilias

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for letting us know how BA is! Have been worrying and praying. He will need months and months of care at home after hospital and hope you can set up a program of food and exercise for hims with some good aides (perhaps from the hospital?) so that maybe you can get your mornings free to work. God bless you both (poco a poco)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please be assured of my continued prayers for you and BA. I'm glad you finally had a good day, and I hope that BA is speedily on the road to real recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear BA is doing better. You've both been in my prayers!
    And, this is super random -- but my sister knows Chris Massoglia ("Chase" in "Because of Gracia"). They're around the same age and participated in homeschool group theater productions together. I know this is probably not as impactful of a story since you don't know me in real life, so my comment is basically just saying "hey this one stranger knows this other stranger" :) but still...it's a small world!

    ReplyDelete