Friday 18 March 2016

Pomidorowa Song

It's Polski Piątek, so let's have another song. This one featured in last night's Polish class at Edinburgh Uni. "Pomidorowa" ("Tomato Soup") is a parody of last year's big Polish pop hit "Naucz mnie," and apparently in Poland it is still funny, not a sticky social situation, when men with five o'clock shadow dress like women. Lyrics and translation underneath. The cultural concept to be understood is that, generally speaking, Poles eat chicken soup on Sunday.


Jutro znowu będzie pomidorowa    Tomorrow it will be tomato soup again
Zrobiona z rosołu z wczoraj.           Made from yesterday's chicken soup.
Wielki gar stoi w kuchni.                A massive pot is sitting in the kitchen.
No zobacz, trzeba zjeść.                "Well, look, you have to eat." 

Znów pełno jej w garze                 Again the pot is full of it
Jak wody w Niagarze.                    Like the waters of Niagara.
Dwa metry ma gar.                       The pot is two meters deep.
Kto tu będzie to żarł?                     Who here will guzzle it? 

Solniczkę, pieprzniczkę na stole postawię  I set the salt and pepper shakers on the table.
Ta zupa jest mdła, więc doprawię            The soup is bland, so I season it.
Nie chcę Ciebie jeść zawsze.                     I don't want to eat you forever.
Nie schowasz się na dnie.                         You're not hiding in the bottom.
Tak dużo wciąż Ciebie jest.                       There is still too much of you.

I wiem, że teraz nie patrzysz,                  And I know that now you're not looking
Więc wybacz, przepraszam.                     So forgive me, I'm sorry.
Nie chciałem jej więcej jeść.                    I don't want to eat any more of it. 

Jutro znowu będzie pomidorowa                Tomorrow it will be tomato soup again
Zrobiona z rosołu z wczoraj .                      Made from yesterday's chicken soup.
Wielki gar stoi w kuchni; no zobacz,            A massive pot is sitting in the kitchen. "Well, look.
trzeba zjeść, co się będzie marnować x2     You have to eat, why should it go to waste?"

Już mało jej w garze    Just a dab of it in the pot
Jak serca w kanarze.     Like the heart of a canary.
Ostatni już dzień          It's the last day 
Żrę tą zupę.                I will eat this soup.

I myśl mnie rozpiera, że jutro niedziela.  And the thought that tomorrow is Sunday overwhelms me.
Nareszcie zjem coś, w czym pomidorów nie ma. Finally I will eat something in which there are no tomatoes.

Wiem, że teraz nie patrzysz     I know that now you're not looking 
Więc wybacz, przepraszam.      So forgive me, I'm sorry
Nie chciałem jej więcej jeść.    I don't want to eat more of it.

Dzisiaj nie ma już pomidorowej.     Today there is no tomato soup. 
Jemy rosół z kury i schabowe.        We are eating chicken soup and wiener schnitzel.
Zdejm kapotę i usiądź przy stole;   "Take off your coat and sit at the table;
Zobacz sam, jaką dobrą masz żonę See what a good wife you have."

Dzisiaj nie ma już pomidorowej. Today there is no tomato soup.
Jemy rosół z kury i schabowe.  We are eating chicken soup and wiener schnitzel.


-A co będzie na obiad jutro? "And what is for dinner tomorrow?"
-Jutro ?                               "Tomorrow?"

Jutro znowu będzie pomidorowa           Tomorrow it will be tomato soup again,
Zrobiona z rosołu z wczoraj.                  Made from yesterday's chicken soup.
Wielki gar stoi w kuchni, no zobacz,       A great pot on the stove: "Well, look,
Trzeba zjeść, co się będzie marnować x 2 You have to eat, why should it be wasted?"

2 comments:

  1. Dzięki, Aunty Seraphic. I love Polski Piątek. This is funny and makes me want to keep learning Polish.

    /Emilka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good! I'm glad you like it. I like it too!

    ReplyDelete