Friday 22 September 2017

Pilgrimage to Ven. Margaret Sinclair

My husband has been praying for the intercession of Edinburgh's 20th century saint, the Venerable Margaret Sinclair, for the miraculous disappearance of his tumour.

As you can see from her honorific,  Margaret is only on the second rung of the ladder to full-fledged canonisation. If she is indeed in heaven, and she wants her admirers in Scotland and abroad to know it, then here is an opportunity for her to "do a miracle" in the good old-fashioned way.

To participate more fully in Benedict Ambrose's petition, I am going to go on a walking pilgrimage from our house to Venerable Margaret's shrine at St. Patrick's Church in the Cowgate, which is about a five mile distance. When I get there, I'll go to confession, if I'm there in time for confession.  My friend and I will leave here at 9:30 AM BST, so if you're awake, please pray for us and, especially, for my husband.

Here is an account of the life of Venerable Margaret Sinclair--and a miracle she may have already worked.

(To the non-Catholic reader: we don't believe that saints themselves do miracles. Rather, we petition saints to intercede for us with God, in the same way you might have asked the baby of the family to ask your parents for some particular treat. Naturally it is God who grants the favour, thanks to the intercession of the saint. Suddenly I remember--once again--that time I was naughty at nursery school and the teachers took my cookies away. Seeing I had no cookies, my little brother shared his with me, Yes, I remember.)

Meanwhile, PPS has convinced that Beautiful Young Lady to marry him. I'm so glad she said yes (or, presumably, tak), not only because PPS seems rather fond of her---and I like her---but because he bought the ring before he asked. 

9 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I did not know about the tumor. Prayers for you both this Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's what caused the initial trouble and may still be lousing things up. It isn't malignant (as far as we know), but it's in a Difficult Place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if there was someone you had in mind to pray to - so now, I'll make sure to ask Ven. Margaret for her intercession.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about all of this with your husband's health. My 2 yr old son has recently had surgery removing 2 tumours from his brain which has kept me away from blogs for awhile, so I'm just catching up on everything.
    I will pray for you both and ask Ven. Margaret for her intercession.
    I hope you have support as I know full well the mental and physical toll caring for a loved one can take.

    Aussie girl in NZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! Is he okay? Were they meningiomas or what?

      Delete
    2. He is doing really well. The good thing about having the surgery so young is that the brain is still growing and can recover quite quickly. He has a genetic condition which causes tubers (long shaped non cancerous tumours) to grow in the major organs of his body. He had a large number in his brain and was having uncontrollable seizures for the past year and a half. They worked out which tubers were causing the seizures and removed them. Thank God he hasn't had any seizures since (going on 12 weeks now). We have been told that any of the other tubers could start causing seizure activity at any time so we are praying that this doesn't happen. There are too many to remove them all and the presence of them means his brain function is slow. He will always be intellectually slow as a result.

      Brain stuff is so hard, especially for adults. I've been praying for you and BA. If you could pray for my little Peter too I would be most grateful.

      Aussie girl in NZ

      Delete
    3. How do you cope? I'm having difficulty getting up in the morning, let alone doing an honest day's work. Advice for getting up and getting on needed here!

      Delete
    4. I get up because I have no other choice. I drink a lot of coffee. I drag myself up out of bed and don't even contemplate anything else. I take anti anxiety pills - these have helped big time.
      I never allow myself to think to far into the future or I will become paralysed. I didn't allow myself to think about his operation until the moment I was carrying him down the corridor into the operation theatre. Only think as far ahead as you need to, no further.
      Honestly, I'm not sure how well I'm coping. My eldest son gets pushed to the side more often than I'd like. I feel constant guilt about that. If you can find a way to speak with a therapist then do it. I haven't yet but I need to.

      Aussie girl in NZ

      Delete
    5. The think only so far in the future as you need to is very good advice. That is how I've been coping. Another coping mechanism is not changing my mind when I make a plan for myself. I didn't want to have no Canadian Thanksgiving at all, so I made Thanksgiving plans that could have been overset by a new development, had I allowed it. (I had made the plans only 24 hours ahead.) I also tell myself I need to be sane and happy at some level, or I won't be able to do what I need to do for B.A. Thank God work is so supportive.

      Delete