Tuesday 24 April 2018

Willowdale

I grew up in a pleasant neighbourhood of modest homes, deep back yards, old trees, small shops, supermarkets in outdoor malls, a municipal library and swimming pool, a old-fashioned cruciform Catholic Church just around the corner from the Catholic school, an old cinema, a hardware store dating from pioneer days on the north-west corner of the southernmost major intersection.

My mother grew up in that neighbourhood, too.

Our neighbourhood disappeared decades ago, or rather, was covered over with a new neighbourhood-- monster houses, row houses, giant condos, business towers, massive indoor malls, modern churches, a proliferation of Korean and Persian shop signs. The main street--Yonge Street--became a real concrete canyon.

As the development started when I was 13 or so, I guess I shouldn't say I grew up in the old neighbourhood. The new neighbourhood grew up with me: I worked in the  new North York Centre mall and I studied in the North York Central Library.  I've long been ambivalent about the changes, however. The last time I was home, I went for a walk with a new resident, a former professor of mine, showing him where my childhood home used to be, where the school-bus picked us up, and where the ravine starts. I pointed out where my grandfather's workplace--a massive printing press--used to be.

When I'm back in Willowdale, I like to pick out the few shops, buildings and trees that have managed to survive. The candy store, for example. And even here in Scotland I can recall great swathes of vanished streetscape.

This was not the first transformation of Willowdale, of course. After the Toronto Rebellion of 1837, British soldiers burned down the farmhouses owned by rebels on either side of Yonge. Until yesterday, that was the biggest local tragedy, and as it happened so long ago, it no longer seemed tragic.

Yesterday a man from nearby Thornhill  Richmond Hill got in a rental van and, from Finch Avenue to Poyntz Avenue, mowed down everyone in his path. At least ten people are dead.

One of my schoolmates was within earshot and seems traumatised, poor woman.

I saw the news online as I did a last check of Alfie Evans stories and went a little crazy as I tried to get in touch with my family. At last I got my dad on Skype, and while we were talking, my Toronto brother phoned him, so that was Quadrophonic accounted for, too. Try sister Tertia posted that she and her son Pirate were safe north of Steeles Avenue.  Mum was at her volunteer job north-east of Finch and Yonge; Dad said he'd look for a phone number.

Dad was quick to suggest that this wasn't a terrorist attack but the actions of a madman. The police have released the man's identity, and when he was a teenager he was a high school student in Thornhill. I am disgruntled with people on Facebook who see photos and footage of the Persian signs and assume that Willowdale is "a Muslim neighbourhood" and that the perpetrator was Muslim.

Sheppard-and-Yonge when I was a kid
I imagine it is possible to have an Armenian surname and also be Muslim, but as yet nobody knows why this man did what he did. Having been a Willowdale kid, I think it's too soon to ask that question.  I'm still wondering who died and if I knew any of them.

Does anyone ever imagine this could happen in their own quiet childhood town?

Sheppard-and-Yonge when my mum was a kid.

11 comments:

  1. I am very sorry to hear.

    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered if you knew and hoped your family and friends were safe. Sorrow for those who were not.

    Clio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all indeed safe, thank God. They're just sad. The killer is apparently of the I-don't-have-a-girlfiend-someone-must-die kind of man.

      Delete
    2. It's headline news in the UK, too.

      Delete
    3. I don't know how deep into the rabbit hole you want to go on this, but apparently he belonged to a group of men calling themselves "!ncels" which stands for "!nvoluntary celibate." (! is replaced by i in both cases...I used the ! so your blog doesn't come up on search engines for the real word.) As you can imagine, !ncels congregate in nasty corners of the internet and plot revenge on women and society in general.

      Delete
    4. Yes, I saw that. Ironically, I myself have always called people who are Single but don't want to be "Searching Singles", which is much nicer, I think. I pray for Searching Singles at very Sunday Mass I attend. It really never occurred to me that there are a class of male Searching Singles who are so angry about their state that they are tempted to kill me. There was the Health Club Shooter, of course, but I thought he was a a one-off.

      Delete
    5. And also "searching single" indicates that a person is in one state (single) but is working towards another state (partnered). Whereas the "involuntary" part of the inv. celib. label implies that having regular sex is the default "state" of young men but circumstances have "forced" them into celibacy.
      Honestly, as someone who has read your blog from before I got married, I think your analogy that sex is like a nice ham sandwich (or something like that) is one of the most helpful things you've ever written. Sex is an important part of a healthy marriage, and obviously a quite enjoyable activity as well, but it's really not all that life-changing. If I were to make a list of the things I hope my kids get to experience in life, I don't think that having sex (especially if it was only the physical part) would make the top 5. Probably not even the top 20, again if we were excluding the emotional component.

      Delete
    6. I think I said "Vitamin C", but I hope I said "nice ham sandwich" because--awesome!

      Yes, it is terrible that young men now think sex is just something they deserve or should be on tap, or whatever. (I'm assuming these 'Incel" types aren't murderously angry because they are unmarried.) Before the sexual revolution, most non-elite young men understood that sex-on-tap was neither possible nor desirable, and they would either have to compete for women (which generally meant for marriage) or pay for hookers. Sorry to be so blunt, but throughout history men (including elite men) have had to PAY for sex one way or another, and that's just the way it was. Yes, the Pill revolutionised how women approach sex, but not entirely!

      Delete
  3. I know about it being headline news over there - I first saw it in the Daily Mail myself! But I wasn't sure about the timing and your work schedule. I managed to miss 9/11 (until it was all over) because I was determined to finish a job application and did not look at the news that day until a few minutes after noon.

    Clio

    ReplyDelete
  4. While it's obviously not the whole story, I wouldn't discount the impact of the physical environment on the social development of kids in the neighborhood. It sounds like just the kind it development that makes it hard to maintain the kind of social structures in a neighborhood needed for loss to feel integrated. I'm reading Jane Jacobs' book "Death and Life of Great American Cities" and it's pretty compelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The killer is from Richmond Hill, but your point still stands. When I was a kid Richmond Hill was a little town separated from Thornhill (and North York, then independent of Toronto) by fields. Now Richmond Hill is also concrete canyon, with Insta-houses here there and everywhere.

      Delete