Thursday 8 March 2018

The Historical Tenement

Example of Historical Tenement
I'm back in Scotland after three weeks in Canada. Apologies to everyone I didn't have the opportunity to see. It was the first "visit home" in which I worked eight hours a day, Monday to Friday. Thus, I had a lot less time to sit around in cafes and kitchens.

The Historical House is still undergoing repairs, so B.A. led me from the train station to the Historical Tenement where we are currently staying. It's even older than the Historical House and in a very old neighbourhood, too. The interior of our flat is quite modern, except for the lovely 12-light and 18-light windows. It is small, but not too small for two people who are fond of each other.

To get to it one must climb a very steep and narrow winding staircase, and I was not a happy woman making the ascent wearing an overstuffed Osprey backpack. However, I was soon cheered up by the daffodils on the dining-nook table and by the sweet little kitchen with its interesting views. Also, we went out at once to have a milky coffee and a bun at a French cafe where the employees and a surprising number of patrons were themselves French.

I think this shall prove to be an interesting experiment in "living small", to say nothing of "living urban." The urban should make up for the small, but we will see.

A sad loss: Polish in 4 Weeks Part 2 fell out a pocket of my Osprey backpack somewhere between Toronto and Glasgow. This is a blow to my plan to review its grammar, to say nothing of my plan to memorise deeply all its vocabulary. However, I think I might be able to find a copy of Pi4W, P2 in the library, and for the time being I am still reviewing P1.

No comments:

Post a Comment